The smart way to learn. The smart way to teach.

MRCOG PART 2 SBAs and EMQs

Course PAID
notes336
EMQ1502
SBA2115
Do you realy want to delete this discussion?
Forum >>

Using our MRCOG II Exam recalls question bank

Using our MRCOG II Exam recalls question bank Posted by Farrukh G.

Posted by Farrukh G.
How we write questions and revision notes

Following every exam, we receive feedback from candidates. We use this feedback to

• Re-write the questions that were encountered as far as possible
  • Write other questions that we expect the examiner would have written as the index question
  • Flag the topics that have been examined in our revision notes
Typically, about 80% of the questions / topics have already been covered by our existing material. We add the missing information and then delete old / obsolete material.

How to use the bank

The easiest way to pass an exam is to know the exam questions and answers before hand. The closest you will come to this is to know the questions that have been asked in the recent past and their answers – this is what we aim to achieve. There are limitations.

• For factual information (for example Forest plots), if there has been a question about the diamond, we write this question plus questions about the squares, horizontal lines associated with the squates, vertical line …The answers we provide to these questions will be correct. The questions give you an indication of the topics tested and the depth of knowledge required. If you know this topic to the required depth, you should be able to answer any other question the examiner might set.
  • For issues that require a judgement (you find a trainee / midwife / consultant .. in the changing room drunk / smelling of alcohol…), there are several considerations:
  1. We use feedback to re-create the question but we are unlikely to get the wording and SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS options exactly as in the exam
  2. The examiner can vary the wording (drunk changed to smelling of alcohol; midwife changed to consultant) and this will change the answer
  3. You need to select the ‘best option’ – so the best option in our question may not be the best option if the wording / options are changed in the exam.
  4. The approach here is to be aware that this topic is important and and understand the principles underlying the answer so you can select the ‘best option’ even if the text of the question / select options are changed. The majority of questions are of this variety so understanding the rationale is more important than learning the answer.

In the run-up to the exam, we expect candidates to be scoring 80-90% in our EMQ tests / mocks. Given that we typically cover at least 80% of the topics examined, this should set you up for a score of 64-72% (80-90% of 80%). For the 20% of topics you are less familiar with, a score of 5/20 should get you to 69-74% and you are highly likely to pass the exam.

The one thing we cannot control / influence is how you perform under exam pressure. Managing your emotions under pressure is as important as reading books / practising questions.
Posted by Nikki W.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but I cannot get topic specific tests. Whether I press on mock or test, I get 50 random questions and not ones related to the topic.

Please can you advise?

thank you :) 

Posted by Farrukh G.
Posted by Nikki W.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong but I cannot get topic specific tests. Whether I press on mock or test, I get 50 random questions and not ones related to the topic.

Please can you advise?

thank you :) 

TEST gives you module-specific questions only.

Perforation at the time of surgical evacuation Posted by Madiha A.

One of the questions about uterine perforation at the time of surgical management of miscarriage, asks about the incidence of perforation. The correct answer was 15 in 1000 which I can see is within the main text of consent advice. However the template for consent given on the last page of consent advice quotes the risk of uterine perforation as 1 in 1000. So in an exam situation which would be the correct answer , thank you 

Posted by Farrukh G.
Perforation at the time of surgical evacuation Posted by Madiha A.

One of the questions about uterine perforation at the time of surgical management of miscarriage, asks about the incidence of perforation. The correct answer was 15 in 1000 which I can see is within the main text of consent advice. However the template for consent given on the last page of consent advice quotes the risk of uterine perforation as 1 in 1000. So in an exam situation which would be the correct answer , thank you 

The text is very clear:

A multicentre observational study19 estimated the rate of confirmed uterine perforation to be 1 in 1000 (uncommon). However, an observational study16 showed that a number of perforations may not be diagnosed and the incidence may be significantly higher: up to 15 in 1000 women (uncommon).

Rate of confirmed perforations = 1 in 1000

Rate of perforation = 15 in 1000

For the majority of perforations, the surgeon is unaware, the woman has no symptoms and the perforation is undetected.

Posted by Mostafa  A.

Is there a feature of the question bank that tells me if I have solved all the questions in a certain module ?

Posted by Farrukh G.

If you retake a test in the same module, the system will show you questions answered incorrectly in the previous test plus new questions. If you encounter a question you have previously answered correctly then you have seen all questions in that module.

We are constantly updating the questions, deleting obsolete ones and updating as new information / guidelines become available. So the questions are constantly changing.

How to use bank Posted by Tony F.

Hi - I am not quite sure I know how to use the question bank.

Is it not possible to SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS how many questions you want to do? If I just wanted to complete 10 random questions at a time for example.

Thanks

Posted by Farrukh G.

Thanks - unfortunately you cannot SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS different numbers of questions. The system is designed to take you through all the questions, ensuring you have answered every question correctly.